- Gold coast
Brisbane to Cairns by Train in 25 Hours
Back to blog homepageDecember 2nd, 2013 | Meriton Apartments
The journey from Brisbane to Cairns is now six hours shorter by rail, thanks to a new high speed tilt train.
Passengers will travel in comfort on the Spirit of Queensland, which replaces The Sunlander. The Executive General Manager of Customer Service for Queensland Rail, Martin Ryan, describes the carriages as world class, according to the Brisbane Times. Luxuries include a railbed, which folds out and reclines, an individual entertainment service for every passenger and USB ports.
The new train takes 25 hours to complete the 1861km journey, a six hour improvement on The Sunlander. There are two journeys per week, on Mondays and Fridays, with the return leg on Wednesdays and Sundays. The service is already in operation, having made its maiden voyage from Brisbane at the end of October.
The new rail service represents a $200 million investment in long distance travel. Transport minister Scott Emerson says that the Spirit of Queensland is unlike anything ever experienced before in terms of train travel quality.
- What to do in Sydney During The October Long Weekend
- Launch Promotion! 4 Brand New Properties On Sale in September!
- Find Your Style in Sydney
- Finding the Gold Coast’s Best Live Music
- Getting Sporty in Sydney
- How to Make the Most of a Winter’s Day in Sydney
- Where to Find Your next Feast on the Gold Coast
- Here’s Where to Watch The Wallabies vs. England
- Win Samsonite Luggage – Our Instagram Competition Starts TODAY!
- In Sydney During Vivid? Here’s How to Make the Most of Every Second
- Baggage Allowance Guide for EVERY International Airline
- 10 Awesome Halloween Events on the Gold Coast
- What Americans Really Think of Australia
- Most Unusual Restaurants in Sydney
- 14 Things for Travellers to Do in Brisbane on Christmas Day
- 11 Picturesque Beaches Just a Stone’s Throw From Brisbane
- A Guide to Road Tripping from Sydney to Byron Bay
- Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Scene: Where’s Best and When Should You Go?
- Spring Racing Carnival 2014: the Fashion, the Flair, and the Fun
- The Top 5 Most Exclusive Places to Get A Drink in Sydney
- Advantages of Serviced Apartments
- Aussie Culinary Scene
- Brisbane Special Events
- Business Travel Tips
- Corporate Travel in Australia
- Gold Coast Special Events
- Holiday Accommodation Ideas
- Press Releases
- Queensland Travel Tips
- Romantic Getaways
- Serviced Apartments
- Short Stays
- Special Events
- Sydney Special Events
- Travel Tips