- Gold coast
Henry the Polar Bear Cub Stars at Sea World
Back to blog homepageJanuary 17th, 2014 | Meriton Apartments
Sea World’s ambitious program to breed polar bears on the Gold Coast has been documented in a recent documentary.
The current star of the breeding program is Henry, a delightfully cute male polar bear cub, born in May last year at Sea World.
Still very much attached to his mother, Henry is a star attraction at the Gold Coast theme park and he represents the future of their breeding program, which is an attempt to duplicate the shrinking domain of the wild polar bear in a controlled setting.
Research has indicated that polar bear numbers are declining, with no more than 25,000 remaining worldwide. The Sea World program is not only about breeding these magnificent animals in captivity, but also about raising awareness of the effects of global warming.
The program was started back in 1998 with Sea World’s acquisition of an American female polar bear, a male bear on loan from China and two Russian cubs. Henry is the latest result and the only polar bear cub in Australia. If you’re visiting the Gold Coast these summer holidays, make sure you drop in and see Henry at Sea World.
- Top Restaurants Near Meriton Serviced Apartments Parramatta
- Top 5 Things to Do During Your Sydney Layover
- Fresh Ideas for your Brisbane Stay
- What to do in Sydney During The October Long Weekend
- Launch Promotion! 4 Brand New Properties On Sale in September!
- Find Your Style in Sydney
- Finding the Gold Coast’s Best Live Music
- Getting Sporty in Sydney
- How to Make the Most of a Winter’s Day in Sydney
- Where to Find Your next Feast on the Gold Coast
- Baggage Allowance Guide for EVERY International Airline
- 14 Things for Travellers to Do in Brisbane on Christmas Day
- What Americans Really Think of Australia
- Most Unusual Restaurants in Sydney
- 11 Picturesque Beaches Just a Stone’s Throw From Brisbane
- A Guide to Road Tripping from Sydney to Byron Bay
- Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Scene: Where’s Best and When Should You Go?
- The Life and Legacy of Famed Architect Harry Seidler
- The Top 15 Beaches on the Gold Coast
- Spoil Someone Special
- Advantages of Serviced Apartments
- Aussie Culinary Scene
- Brisbane Special Events
- Business Travel Tips
- Corporate Travel in Australia
- Gold Coast Special Events
- Holiday Accommodation Ideas
- Press Releases
- Queensland Travel Tips
- Romantic Getaways
- Serviced Apartments
- Short Stays
- Special Events
- Sydney Special Events
- Travel Tips