- Gold coast
How Passenger Comfort Could be Improved in Economy Class
Back to blog homepageDecember 21st, 2013 | Meriton Apartments
The science behind sleeping well on planes could come down to just one inch of extra space.
A study by Airbus, which manufactures aircraft, reveals that an 18-inch wide seat can result in better quality sleep than snoozing in a 17-inch seat. Participants in the study fell asleep 14.7% more quickly in the wider seats and spent more time asleep on long-haul flights.
The current 17-inch seat typical of many economy class cabins is a throwback to the 1950s, before long-haul flights became a normal part of life for so many. The old style seats also fail to address the issue of overweight and obese passengers. According to sleep physician Dr Maree Barnes, an extra inch would provide additional comfort and increase the chance of a better and longer sleep.
Dr Barnes’ other tips for getting to sleep on a plane include following as close a routine to your normal bedtime procedure as possible, according to the Brisbane Times. Wear pyjamas and blinkers and avoid stimulants close to bedtime to increase the likelihood of a good night’s sleep on board.
- Meriton Serviced Apartments
- The 24-Hour Gold Coast Christmas Shopping Guide
- Top Restaurants Near Meriton Serviced Apartments Parramatta
- Top 5 Things to Do During Your Sydney Layover
- Fresh Ideas for your Brisbane Stay
- What to do in Sydney During The October Long Weekend
- Launch Promotion! 4 Brand New Properties On Sale in September!
- Find Your Style in Sydney
- Finding the Gold Coast’s Best Live Music
- Getting Sporty in Sydney
- Baggage Allowance Guide for EVERY International Airline
- 14 Things for Travellers to Do in Brisbane on Christmas Day
- 11 Picturesque Beaches Just a Stone’s Throw From Brisbane
- What Americans Really Think of Australia
- A Guide to Road Tripping from Sydney to Byron Bay
- Most Unusual Restaurants in Sydney
- The Top 15 Beaches on the Gold Coast
- Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Scene: Where’s Best and When Should You Go?
- Spoil Someone Special
- The Top 5 Most Exclusive Places to Get A Drink in Sydney
- Advantages of Serviced Apartments
- Aussie Culinary Scene
- Brisbane Special Events
- Business Travel Tips
- Corporate Travel in Australia
- Gold Coast Special Events
- Holiday Accommodation Ideas
- Press Releases
- Queensland Travel Tips
- Romantic Getaways
- Serviced Apartments
- Short Stays
- Special Events
- Sydney Special Events
- Travel Tips