- Gold coast
How Passenger Comfort Could be Improved in Economy Class
Back to blog homepageDecember 21st, 2013 | Meriton Apartments
The science behind sleeping well on planes could come down to just one inch of extra space.
A study by Airbus, which manufactures aircraft, reveals that an 18-inch wide seat can result in better quality sleep than snoozing in a 17-inch seat. Participants in the study fell asleep 14.7% more quickly in the wider seats and spent more time asleep on long-haul flights.
The current 17-inch seat typical of many economy class cabins is a throwback to the 1950s, before long-haul flights became a normal part of life for so many. The old style seats also fail to address the issue of overweight and obese passengers. According to sleep physician Dr Maree Barnes, an extra inch would provide additional comfort and increase the chance of a better and longer sleep.
Dr Barnes’ other tips for getting to sleep on a plane include following as close a routine to your normal bedtime procedure as possible, according to the Brisbane Times. Wear pyjamas and blinkers and avoid stimulants close to bedtime to increase the likelihood of a good night’s sleep on board.
- Catch These Bright Sparks at Vivid Sydney 2017
- Adjusting from New Zealand to the Sunny Gold Coast
- Are You Ready for the Sydney Easter Show?
- Celebrating World Science in Brisbane
- Prepare Your Senses for Taste of Sydney
- 5 Reasons to Book a Serviced Apartment in Sydney
- The Ultimate Couple’s Getaway in Brisbane
- How to Jam-Pack a Weekend on the Gold Coast
- Top Restaurants Near Meriton Serviced Apartments Brisbane
- Meriton Serviced Apartments
- Baggage Allowance Guide for EVERY International Airline
- What Americans Really Think of Australia
- Most Unusual Restaurants in Sydney
- 11 Picturesque Beaches Just a Stone’s Throw From Brisbane
- A Guide to Road Tripping from Sydney to Byron Bay
- Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Scene: Where’s Best and When Should You Go?
- The Life and Legacy of Famed Architect Harry Seidler
- Planning Your Easter Holiday Adventure
- The Top 15 Beaches on the Gold Coast
- Spoil Someone Special
- Advantages of Serviced Apartments
- Aussie Culinary Scene
- Brisbane Special Events
- Business Travel Tips
- Corporate Travel in Australia
- Gold Coast Special Events
- Holiday Accommodation Ideas
- Press Releases
- Queensland Travel Tips
- Romantic Getaways
- Serviced Apartments
- Short Stays
- Special Events
- Sydney Special Events
- Travel Tips