- Gold coast
Small Bars Making a Big Impact
Back to blog homepageNovember 13th, 2013 | Meriton Apartments
A new breed of bar is cropping up in Sydney and proving a real hit.
Boutique bars – some specialising in one type of drink, others intimate watering holes – have found a home in Sydney after licensing laws changed to allow smaller bars a chance to thrive in New South Wales. The subsequent influx of boutique drinking establishments has led to a cultural change, welcomed by the bars’ owners.
Martin O’Sullivan, who owns the city’s Grasshopper restaurant bar, says that the new bars offer Sydney’s drinkers greater choice. According to The Star, more than 70 such bars have opened since the law changed in 2008. These changes reduced the cost of liquor licences in some instances.
The popularity of small bars has been attributed in part to their appeal to women, who are now able to access public bar areas after years of being restricted to the ladies’ lounges. Public bar access was not permitted until the 1960s.
- Getting Sporty in Sydney
- How to Make the Most of a Winter’s Day in Sydney
- Where to Find Your next Feast on the Gold Coast
- Here’s Where to Watch The Wallabies vs. England
- Win Samsonite Luggage – Our Instagram Competition Starts TODAY!
- In Sydney During Vivid? Here’s How to Make the Most of Every Second
- The Secret to Finding the Best Brunch in Sydney
- Your Guide to the Best Coffee in Brisbane
- The Perfect Events for You at Vivid Sydney 2016
- Five Ideas for a Great Night out on the Gold Coast
- Baggage Allowance Guide for EVERY International Airline
- Most Unusual Restaurants in Sydney
- What Americans Really Think of Australia
- 14 Things for Travellers to Do in Brisbane on Christmas Day
- 11 Picturesque Beaches Just a Stone’s Throw From Brisbane
- Spoil Someone Special
- A Guide to Road Tripping from Sydney to Byron Bay
- Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Scene: Where’s Best and When Should You Go?
- The Top 5 Most Exclusive Places to Get A Drink in Sydney
- Meriton Buys Prime Dee Why Site
- Advantages of Serviced Apartments
- Aussie Culinary Scene
- Brisbane Special Events
- Business Travel Tips
- Corporate Travel in Australia
- Gold Coast Special Events
- Holiday Accommodation Ideas
- Press Releases
- Queensland Travel Tips
- Romantic Getaways
- Serviced Apartments
- Short Stays
- Special Events
- Sydney Special Events
- Travel Tips