- Gold coast
Small Bars Making a Big Impact
Back to blog homepageNovember 13th, 2013 | Meriton Apartments
A new breed of bar is cropping up in Sydney and proving a real hit.
Boutique bars – some specialising in one type of drink, others intimate watering holes – have found a home in Sydney after licensing laws changed to allow smaller bars a chance to thrive in New South Wales. The subsequent influx of boutique drinking establishments has led to a cultural change, welcomed by the bars’ owners.
Martin O’Sullivan, who owns the city’s Grasshopper restaurant bar, says that the new bars offer Sydney’s drinkers greater choice. According to The Star, more than 70 such bars have opened since the law changed in 2008. These changes reduced the cost of liquor licences in some instances.
The popularity of small bars has been attributed in part to their appeal to women, who are now able to access public bar areas after years of being restricted to the ladies’ lounges. Public bar access was not permitted until the 1960s.
- The Best Accommodation Spots for Vivid Sydney 2017
- New Zealand, Take Advantage of Cheap Flights to Sydney
- Your Guide to Gold Coast Surfing Spots
- Catch These Bright Sparks at Vivid Sydney 2017
- Adjusting from New Zealand to the Sunny Gold Coast
- Are You Ready for the Sydney Easter Show?
- Celebrating World Science in Brisbane
- Prepare Your Senses for Taste of Sydney
- 5 Reasons to Book a Serviced Apartment in Sydney
- The Ultimate Couple’s Getaway in Brisbane
- Baggage Allowance Guide for EVERY International Airline
- What Americans Really Think of Australia
- 11 Picturesque Beaches Just a Stone’s Throw From Brisbane
- Most Unusual Restaurants in Sydney
- A Guide to Road Tripping from Sydney to Byron Bay
- Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Scene: Where’s Best and When Should You Go?
- The Top 15 Beaches on the Gold Coast
- Planning Your Easter Holiday Adventure
- Spoil Someone Special
- A Guide to the 2016 Sydney Royal Easter Show
- Advantages of Serviced Apartments
- Aussie Culinary Scene
- Brisbane Special Events
- Business Travel Tips
- Corporate Travel in Australia
- Gold Coast Special Events
- Holiday Accommodation Ideas
- Press Releases
- Queensland Travel Tips
- Romantic Getaways
- Serviced Apartments
- Short Stays
- Special Events
- Sydney Special Events
- Travel Tips