- Gold coast
The Sydney Monorail Says Goodbye
Back to blog homepageAugust 1st, 2013 | Meriton Apartments
After a relatively short lifespan, the Sydney Monorail is being sold for scrap metal. Despite only opening in 1988, the privately owned operation saw less than ideal attendance. Now, after 25 years, the service ran its last tour.
Deemed a failure, the mass transit system was plagued by cramped travelling conditions, a lack of cost effective measures and a truncated length that was hard to justify. But the Sydney Monorail decided to go out in style with a grand tour of the city.
Put on by the City of Sydney Council, the tour covered the numerous stops that the monorail frequented. Travellers began at the Marble Bar on George Street and then headed to the tour’s first stop, Darling Harbour.
As the monorail ran its course, it was clear that its lack of range as a mass transit system seriously compromised its viability.
The system will be dismantled at a cost of between $10-15 million but it will allow the city of Sydney the opportunity to introduce a light rail system.
- Getting Sporty in Sydney
- How to Make the Most of a Winter’s Day in Sydney
- Where to Find Your next Feast on the Gold Coast
- Here’s Where to Watch The Wallabies vs. England
- Win Samsonite Luggage – Our Instagram Competition Starts TODAY!
- In Sydney During Vivid? Here’s How to Make the Most of Every Second
- The Secret to Finding the Best Brunch in Sydney
- Your Guide to the Best Coffee in Brisbane
- The Perfect Events for You at Vivid Sydney 2016
- Five Ideas for a Great Night out on the Gold Coast
- Baggage Allowance Guide for EVERY International Airline
- Most Unusual Restaurants in Sydney
- What Americans Really Think of Australia
- 14 Things for Travellers to Do in Brisbane on Christmas Day
- 11 Picturesque Beaches Just a Stone’s Throw From Brisbane
- Spoil Someone Special
- A Guide to Road Tripping from Sydney to Byron Bay
- Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Scene: Where’s Best and When Should You Go?
- The Top 5 Most Exclusive Places to Get A Drink in Sydney
- Meriton Buys Prime Dee Why Site
- Advantages of Serviced Apartments
- Aussie Culinary Scene
- Brisbane Special Events
- Business Travel Tips
- Corporate Travel in Australia
- Gold Coast Special Events
- Holiday Accommodation Ideas
- Press Releases
- Queensland Travel Tips
- Romantic Getaways
- Serviced Apartments
- Short Stays
- Special Events
- Sydney Special Events
- Travel Tips