- Gold coast
The Sydney Monorail Says Goodbye
Back to blog homepageAugust 1st, 2013 | Meriton Apartments
After a relatively short lifespan, the Sydney Monorail is being sold for scrap metal. Despite only opening in 1988, the privately owned operation saw less than ideal attendance. Now, after 25 years, the service ran its last tour.
Deemed a failure, the mass transit system was plagued by cramped travelling conditions, a lack of cost effective measures and a truncated length that was hard to justify. But the Sydney Monorail decided to go out in style with a grand tour of the city.
Put on by the City of Sydney Council, the tour covered the numerous stops that the monorail frequented. Travellers began at the Marble Bar on George Street and then headed to the tour’s first stop, Darling Harbour.
As the monorail ran its course, it was clear that its lack of range as a mass transit system seriously compromised its viability.
The system will be dismantled at a cost of between $10-15 million but it will allow the city of Sydney the opportunity to introduce a light rail system.
- Don’t Leave Brisbane Without Having These Top 6 Experiences
- Vivid Sydney Accommodation
- Your Relaxing Sydney Long Weekend, Sorted
- A Guide to the 2016 Sydney Royal Easter Show
- Opening Soon
- 48 Hours on the Gold Coast: An Activity Guide
- 8 Reasons Why You Should Book a Serviced Apartment Over a Hotel
- Meriton Maintaining Standards
- A Stress-Free Guide to Dreamworld on the Gold Coast
- A Guide to Brisbane’s Best Architecture
- Baggage Allowance Guide for EVERY International Airline
- Most Unusual Restaurants in Sydney
- What Americans Really Think of Australia
- Meriton Buys Prime Dee Why Site
- 11 Picturesque Beaches Just a Stone’s Throw From Brisbane
- Spoil Someone Special
- The Top 5 Most Exclusive Places to Get A Drink in Sydney
- Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Scene: Where’s Best and When Should You Go?
- Sydney’s Top 7 Restaurants You Must Visit
- How to Eat Like a MasterChef in Sydney
- Advantages of Serviced Apartments
- Aussie Culinary Scene
- Brisbane Special Events
- Business Travel Tips
- Corporate Travel in Australia
- Gold Coast Special Events
- Holiday Accommodation Ideas
- Press Releases
- Queensland Travel Tips
- Romantic Getaways
- Serviced Apartments
- Short Stays
- Special Events
- Sydney Special Events
- Travel Tips