- Gold coast
The Sydney Monorail Says Goodbye
Back to blog homepageAugust 1st, 2013 | Meriton Apartments
After a relatively short lifespan, the Sydney Monorail is being sold for scrap metal. Despite only opening in 1988, the privately owned operation saw less than ideal attendance. Now, after 25 years, the service ran its last tour.
Deemed a failure, the mass transit system was plagued by cramped travelling conditions, a lack of cost effective measures and a truncated length that was hard to justify. But the Sydney Monorail decided to go out in style with a grand tour of the city.
Put on by the City of Sydney Council, the tour covered the numerous stops that the monorail frequented. Travellers began at the Marble Bar on George Street and then headed to the tour’s first stop, Darling Harbour.
As the monorail ran its course, it was clear that its lack of range as a mass transit system seriously compromised its viability.
The system will be dismantled at a cost of between $10-15 million but it will allow the city of Sydney the opportunity to introduce a light rail system.
- Top Restaurants Near Meriton Serviced Apartments Parramatta
- Top 5 Things to Do During Your Sydney Layover
- Fresh Ideas for your Brisbane Stay
- What to do in Sydney During The October Long Weekend
- Launch Promotion! 4 Brand New Properties On Sale in September!
- Find Your Style in Sydney
- Finding the Gold Coast’s Best Live Music
- Getting Sporty in Sydney
- How to Make the Most of a Winter’s Day in Sydney
- Where to Find Your next Feast on the Gold Coast
- Baggage Allowance Guide for EVERY International Airline
- 14 Things for Travellers to Do in Brisbane on Christmas Day
- What Americans Really Think of Australia
- Most Unusual Restaurants in Sydney
- 11 Picturesque Beaches Just a Stone’s Throw From Brisbane
- A Guide to Road Tripping from Sydney to Byron Bay
- Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Scene: Where’s Best and When Should You Go?
- The Life and Legacy of Famed Architect Harry Seidler
- Spoil Someone Special
- The Top 15 Beaches on the Gold Coast
- Advantages of Serviced Apartments
- Aussie Culinary Scene
- Brisbane Special Events
- Business Travel Tips
- Corporate Travel in Australia
- Gold Coast Special Events
- Holiday Accommodation Ideas
- Press Releases
- Queensland Travel Tips
- Romantic Getaways
- Serviced Apartments
- Short Stays
- Special Events
- Sydney Special Events
- Travel Tips