- Gold coast
How to Tip the Bag Porter
Back to blog homepageOctober 11th, 2013 | Meriton Apartments
Many people have asked themselves them same question when travelling, “Do you tip the porter who carries your bags to your room and, if so, how much?”
The ritual of tipping the bag porter is one that is alive and well, yet its rules are still unclear for many Australians. The amount of the tip can depend on various factors. Geographic location, the socio-economic climate in the region being visited, the amount of luggage to be carried and the distance taxied can determine the amount of a tip.
In the US, porters are tipped US$1 per luggage item, whereas in Indonesia, porters are tipped $5 a bag in an effort to make up for the porter’s low wages.
The Tripologist for The Age admitted to tipping fifty rupees ($1) to porters in India and they seemed satisfied with the tip, while the cab driver was less than pleased with his tip.
Perhaps when it comes to tipping, the best measure for determining the appropriate tip is trial and error.
- Top Restaurants Near Meriton Serviced Apartments Parramatta
- Top 5 Things to Do During Your Sydney Layover
- Fresh Ideas for your Brisbane Stay
- What to do in Sydney During The October Long Weekend
- Launch Promotion! 4 Brand New Properties On Sale in September!
- Find Your Style in Sydney
- Finding the Gold Coast’s Best Live Music
- Getting Sporty in Sydney
- How to Make the Most of a Winter’s Day in Sydney
- Where to Find Your next Feast on the Gold Coast
- Baggage Allowance Guide for EVERY International Airline
- 14 Things for Travellers to Do in Brisbane on Christmas Day
- What Americans Really Think of Australia
- Most Unusual Restaurants in Sydney
- 11 Picturesque Beaches Just a Stone’s Throw From Brisbane
- A Guide to Road Tripping from Sydney to Byron Bay
- Sydney’s Gay and Lesbian Scene: Where’s Best and When Should You Go?
- The Life and Legacy of Famed Architect Harry Seidler
- Spoil Someone Special
- The Top 15 Beaches on the Gold Coast
- Advantages of Serviced Apartments
- Aussie Culinary Scene
- Brisbane Special Events
- Business Travel Tips
- Corporate Travel in Australia
- Gold Coast Special Events
- Holiday Accommodation Ideas
- Press Releases
- Queensland Travel Tips
- Romantic Getaways
- Serviced Apartments
- Short Stays
- Special Events
- Sydney Special Events
- Travel Tips