- Gold coast
Visitor Figures up for Queensland
Back to blog homepageDecember 23rd, 2013 | Meriton Apartments
Queensland tourism is finally on the up, according to the Brisbane Times.
Tourism has slumped over the last five years in the Sunshine State, says the Brisbane Times. This has been due to competition from Asia, which has been offering cheaper holidays.
Now, however, Tourism and Events Queensland has announced that Queensland welcomed an extra 400,000 visitors last year (July 2011-June 2012) compared with the year before.
The figures also showed that increased tourism is coming from both interstate and international travellers. According to Queensland Tourism Industry Council chairman Shane O’Reilly, fewer people are choosing to travel overseas for their holidays, accounting for the rise in interstate visitors. The international figure was boosted by Chinese tourists.
Visitors are also booking longer holidays in Queensland now, with the average stay being 7.4 days, up more than a day from 6.2 days in 2010-11. The Gold Coast, traditionally the hub of tourism in Queensland, experienced the greatest boost to numbers, with a 12% increase in visitors.
- How to Make the Most of a Winter’s Day in Sydney
- Where to Find Your next Feast on the Gold Coast
- Here’s Where to Watch The Wallabies vs. England
- Win Samsonite Luggage – Our Instagram Competition Starts TODAY!
- In Sydney During Vivid? Here’s How to Make the Most of Every Second
- The Secret to Finding the Best Brunch in Sydney
- Your Guide to the Best Coffee in Brisbane
- The Perfect Events for You at Vivid Sydney 2016
- Five Ideas for a Great Night out on the Gold Coast
- Don’t Leave Brisbane Without Having These Top 6 Experiences
- Baggage Allowance Guide for EVERY International Airline
- Most Unusual Restaurants in Sydney
- What Americans Really Think of Australia
- Spoil Someone Special
- 11 Picturesque Beaches Just a Stone’s Throw From Brisbane
- Meriton Buys Prime Dee Why Site
- The Top 5 Most Exclusive Places to Get A Drink in Sydney
- 14 Things for Travellers to Do in Brisbane on Christmas Day
- How to Eat Like a MasterChef in Sydney
- A Guide to Road Tripping from Sydney to Byron Bay
- Advantages of Serviced Apartments
- Aussie Culinary Scene
- Brisbane Special Events
- Business Travel Tips
- Corporate Travel in Australia
- Gold Coast Special Events
- Holiday Accommodation Ideas
- Press Releases
- Queensland Travel Tips
- Romantic Getaways
- Serviced Apartments
- Short Stays
- Special Events
- Sydney Special Events
- Travel Tips